Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Help

Show all reviews of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100.

KJ4ADN  Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 13:24  Send this review to a friend!
Accurate, Reliable, Repairable, - Best by far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our Ultimeter 2100 also has the Pro Sensor combo. The cabling to the house is an 8 pair shielded & buried, standard telephone 20 gauge wire, 90-100' in length. We have been on the edge of Hurricanes, sustained winds of 65 mph, and it has recorded wind speed, direction & rainfall without a hitch. Living on a ridge, we get windy weather, 25-35mph gusts are not uncommon, so are lightning ground strikes!

Having troubleshot a Davis for a friend of mine in Buxton, NC (OBX).. several times, I was really turned off to wireless models, whether or not they have solar panels - they still have a battery that wears out! If it can't handle salt air & hurricanes... gee wiz! What can? Flying debris breaks things.

Lacrosse & Acu-Rite units, didn't last a year, one of these went through batteries so fast, we considered hard wiring it to the house. And curiously... the electric fence charger seemed to effect the wireless units, but doesn't give our any of multi-station HAM radios any problem, with antennas located inside the perimeter of the fence..?!

The specs on the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 sounded pretty impressive, the accuracy unmatched. Seeing the morning dew register in a rain gauge, is quite an interesting feat of miniscule accuracy! It doesn't take much for the Anemometer to start moving, even the slightest breeze and it's starting to register. We've had this station running just about 4 years, and like every other station, it's worn out a part here and there - however, minor, the service from Peet Bros has been excellent. I'm rating this a "5" because by comparison to the other units, it's far better in accuracy, reliability & ease of repair. I checked the temperature with my calibrated +-.2 per degree probe, and from the factory, it was dead-on. But... when I added in 100' of cable, it changed.. so did the humidity sensor, as I suspected. So we simply calibrate.

I expect the bearings on the Anemometer to eventually wear out, maybe a reed switch to fail ($1.50 & easy to replace), and anyone that doesn't CALIBRATE your barometric pressure, temperature or whatever else specific to your site - why did you buy a weather station to begin with? Write the offsets down, so after the power has been off for 8 days you can reprogram it! The cost of replacement components needs to be considered, and if you're going to do in depth repairs yourself, can you get the parts off-the-shelf, or is everything coated in a thick layer of "non-field-repairable" plastic & goo? The Peet Bros stuff is easy to work on without destroying the whole unit. They also sell the internal parts & circuit boards to the sensors. That's a big PLUS, and the parts are inexpensive!

We decided NOT to spend the $$$ for "The Weather Picture" display, and spent the $$ on a dedicated "Weather Computer" instead. It's become our "Internet Computer", and stores, uploads & graphs the weather stuff, plus, gives us an ever changing display of what's going on outside. Again, the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 made it simple for us.

I found additional freeware software for the Ultimeter 2100 on N3FJPs web site, just connect it to your computer's serial port and it gives you real time results. We initially set it up to "broadcast" over our home network, so any computer could pull it up, run it in the background. Since then, my son, KJ4AMU has written some pretty neat software, added even more features, and automatically uploads to the CWOP website. KJ4AMU's software uses very little CPU, and we stuck it on a 12vdc "Green" machine that burns less than 18 watts of power under a full load. All the software is free & runs on any MS machine.

One thing worth mentioning, Peet Bros seems to encourage the experimenter and hobbyist by supplying wiring diagrams, data output stings and code to the operation of the units they sell. What started as a simple weather station has turned into an educational, fun, father / son project.

This ought to be a no-brainer... keep a spare part of the outside components that wear. For some systems, that's the WHOLE unit, for Peet Bros, it's a couple of small, inexpensive, circuit boards or reed switch. Our experience with several competing units has clearly shown Peet Bros is the best value, most accurate, easiest & cheapest to maintain, and favors the experimenter / programmer. A solid 4-5, compared to others, easily a +5.

KJ4ADN