Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62" Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62"

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1432 RuffRider Hyper Gain 144/440 MHz Mobile Antenna 62".

VA3DBD  Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2013 21:37  Send this review to a friend!
Good, but has a flaw  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the MFJ-1432 and a MFJ-336S mount in the summer of 2010, and they have been on three three vehicles, a car, a mini van, and a small SUV.

I was instantly impressed with the performance of the antenna. Even just using my handheld at 5w, I have been able to hit repeaters 40+ miles away through urban sprawl, and been told that my signal was strong and clear, with no signs of my being mobile.

Like other people I have had issues with the fold-over feature. I have had the antenna fold it self over a number of times. When it was new it took speeds between 70 - 75 mph, but now it seems to be happening at just 60 - 65 mph.

Last fall it also started to develop a wobbling clunk sound, that has progressively become worse over the winter. I have been able to trace it down to the fold-over point and it appears that the spring is no longer able to keep the mast held tight. I have contacted MFJ twice about a way to fix this, but have not received any response.

Overall - This is a great performing antenna, however the fold-over feature is a serious weakness.