Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV6D Help

Show all reviews of the Wouxun KG-UV6D

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV6D.

WQPB604  Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 09:09  Send this review to a friend!
Good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would honestly rate at 4.5 if I could. I bought two of these in May, 2012 for $169 ea. w/Programming cable, software & charger off eBay, shipping included. The 1700 ma. li-on battery seems to just go forever but never leave the battery in the unit if you don't plan on using it for awhile. There is a parasitic drain on the battery that will leave it dead within a week or two even though the unit is turned off.
Some HT's are just intuitive to program, this isn't one of them. Let's just say that some HT's where designed for PC programming and this is the category in which this radio belongs. It's a breeze to program with a PC, FPP.....eh, not so much.
I have the "commercial version" radios that receive and transmit at 136-174 MHz and 420-520 MHz. The radios I have are the V2 or version 2 that have 2.5 KHz stepping as opposed to the 5 KHz in the original version. Receive and transmit are strong and the volume is certainly loud & clear. No problems hitting local repeaters using a Comet BNC-24 antenna. The stock antenna is ok but there are much better antennas available. Here in the DFW area, that's about all I can hope for. I'm not a big fan of SMA connectors and installed a BNC adapter for the antenna. I change antennas according to conditions and just fear wearing out the SMA connector.
Overall, this is a very good radio and has been a solid performer for the money. You can even listen to your favorite commercial FM radio stations. I haven't dropped tested or abused my radios so I can't comment on durability but so far, no problems. There's a built-in LED flashlight and the display and keypad are both backlit. Good radio for the first timer, casual user or seasoned pro who would rather leave the expensive one at home. Get the programming cable & software. You'll be glad you did.