Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Mike Nadeau N1EQ in Maine Help

Show all reviews of the Mike Nadeau N1EQ in Maine

You can write your own review of the Mike Nadeau N1EQ in Maine.

WW3K  Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 18:04  Send this review to a friend!
Better than Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent not only one, not even two, but THREE Icom's to Mike N1EQ in Maine for service, and received them back operating even BETTER than factory new! I am the original owner of all 3 radios.

The first rig was an early s/n Icom IC-746Pro, which was sent back to Icom early in life for the notorious loss of transmit (ESD) issue, which Icom America repaired under warranty. Fast forward 10 - 12 years of hard operating, and the rig began experiencing intermittent loss of transmit. Sent the rig to N1EQ and he made all the upgrades / repairs which Icom had neglected to incorporate, INCLUDING the common driver bias adjustment. Turn around time was less than 1 week. Rig now performs FLAWLESSLY and BETTER than NEW! (I wish I had sent it to him sooner.)

Immediately upon receipt and testing of the IC-746Pro, I sent him my first IC-718, which had suffered a front end overload so severe that it had damaged (fried) the pcb and completely vaporized several smd components. The rig also needed a new amp keying relay. I thought the rig was a lost cause, and was saving it for spare parts for many years. Mike worked his magic on it and it too now performs actually BETTER than new; receive sensitivity/selectivity is now SUPERB, and the attenuater and preamplifier circuitry now works as designed (something it didn't even do when new from the factory.) Again, remarkably, turn around time was only 1 week!

Lastly, I sent him my 2nd IC-718 for what I thought was a send relay issue, but Mike's expert troubleshooting revealed that it was only a simple smd diode replacement. He also repaired the attenuator and realigned the receiver. Again, as with the other 2 rigs, turn around time was only 1 week.

I was/am so very delighted with Mike's work that I wanted to send him my 756Pro for upgrades, and although Mike was more than capable of performing the work I was considering, after discussing my options with him, we agreed that the 756 is performing as it should and probably wouldn't benefit much from what I was considering (namely, an INRAD roofing filter.)

From my perspective, Mike doesn't just deserve a 5.0 eHam rating, he has EARNED a 15.0+++ rating!