Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Eagle 599 Help

Show all reviews of the Ten-Tec Eagle 599

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Eagle 599.

N3QE  Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2013 10:02  Send this review to a friend!
Opinions after 15 months of contest usage  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Eagle 15 months now, and this is my second review.

The Eagle has performed excellently through 25,000 QSO's in two contest seasons. It's helped me earn several #1 LP certificates for my state and call district in major RTTY and 160M contests, and top ten finishes in several DX contests.

I have recently taken up RTTY contesting, and the Eagle's line-in/line-out make audio to computer interfacing a breeze. The rig runs cool as a cucumber even at RTTY contest duty cycles at 100W out.

Only a month or so ago, looking to do some incremental improvements, I got the 600 Hz CW filter on advice from Stan at Ten-Tec sales. It does help in the occasional super-duper crunch contest or DX situations and was a nice incremental step up.

In RTTY use, the DSP passband sliding controlled by the knobs on the front of the rig, produce a very very nice variable and slideable IF filter for RTTY. QRM just above or below is no problem, just dial the filter position and bandwidth and they go away. With many contest powerhouse stations nearby, having the 600Hz filter kick in automatically in concert with the DSP settings, is just so sweet.