Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-986 Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-986

You can write your own review of the MFJ-986.

K4HYJ  Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2013 14:50  Send this review to a friend!
Its a trooper!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this at an estate sale with no real history - only verification it was being used by the now SK up until he was no longer able to use his shack.

It is old enough to have the 1/8" power jack on the back - not the newer coaxial style.

Upon inspection, the belt that drives the counter for the inductor was rotten and had almost disintegrated in the bottom of the case - not really a complaint because of its age. Besides a little dust, everything else looked fine.

I hooked it up to a ic746pro and AL-811H. It tuned anything I had to throw at it - its SWR readings were identical to the SWR meter on the 746pro. My amp had been checked out earlier this year at a good shop - and it produces a solid 625 watts on 80, 40, and 20 meters. The watt meter in the MFJ unit registered just a hair over 600 watts. Close enough for tuning up and keeping an eye on things.

The peak function will grab the peak, but for just a split second and starts falling off so it may work, but I can't catch it! However, tuning up with a CW carrier - the peak/average is the same! On phone when tuning up I always back it off a bit to protect the amp anyway - I'm not using the tuner for lab measurements anyway - hi hi.

I gave it a 4 simply because of the quality of construction - it is built OK and works. There are other tuners in the same (new) price range that would have an edge with build quality.