Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner Help

Show all reviews of the Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner

You can write your own review of the Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner.

WV4I  Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 18:57  Send this review to a friend!
Cheap and Easy SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Per the Jan 2013 QST article re Cheap and Easy SDR, I decided to give one of these DVB-T units a try. Mine was about $25 plus ship off Ebay, and contains the RTL2832 quadrature sampling decoder, and the E4000 tuner. I'm using SDR# set up per the article, except that I found the SDR# Config file entry for RTL-SDR/USB already active. Only other gotcha is be careful using Zadig when installing USB driver, or you'll be reinstalling printers, other USB devices.

Anyway, while the noise floor is around -70dbm eg on 2M using a yagi, for the money, this is a cheap and valuable introduction to SDR, SDR# is a free download.

My version of SDR# does allow gain adjustment or let it be handled auto by AGC. I found +10db manual gain to be about right for my setup.

I also operate a Softrock Receive Ensemble II and SDR-IQ, albeit both on HF, and with noise floors on the order of -120dbm or better. However, the described DVB-T will get you on approx 64mhz-1700mhz, at little up front cost. Also comparing a NF or floor on HF vs VHF/UHF is not really apples for apples. A good antenna is a must, and the supplied antenna is not. The antenna connector on my DVB-T is a PAL, so series adapter required to F or UHF.

The QST article went on to describe an HF upconverter that could be used with the DVB-T, but by time you build and pay for that, could build and pay for one of the other SDR kits designed for HF, get far better performance.