Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Hy-Gain AV-680 Nine Band Vertical Help

Show all reviews of the Hy-Gain AV-680 Nine Band Vertical

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV-680 Nine Band Vertical.

WP4MZR  Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2013 09:04  Send this review to a friend!
Still testing it, so far so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna back in January from R&L. Their service was top notch.

The antenna tubing has a nice finish, no sharp edges.

I had two minor issues during assembly. First, there was some missing hardware. Contacted hy-gain and R&L and the parts were received within a few days. The other problem was related to the matching box not showing to be DC grounded. After some troubleshooting, I found a cold solder on the inductor that provides the DC short. A quick re-solder of the joint took care of it.

The tuning of this antenna can be a little tedious. In my case, the antenna was resonating way below the ham bands and it took a lot more cutting than specified in the manual.

I don't have another antenna to compare its performance, but so far with 100W, if I can hear it, I can work it.

It works perfectly on 15 meters, covering the entire band with 1:1 SWR. My only wish is for the antenna to have better SWR bandwidth on 75 and 40 meters.