Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G4000A Help

Show all reviews of the Grundig G4000A

You can write your own review of the Grundig G4000A.

WB6TNB  Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2013 00:33  Send this review to a friend!
Very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran into the same screwup at Fry's at about the same time that KZ6D did. The store had three so I bought all of them. I sold one to a friend getting started in shortwave and kept the other two. One is always in the car and I use the other at home. It is quite sensitive and selective on AM and shortwave. SSB is very good. The FM overloads easily and the sound quality there through good headphones leaves a bit to be desired. The build quality also leaves a little to be desired but with careful handling it should last a long time.

A friend has the highly respected Yacht Boy 400 and we A/B'ed them. They were exactly the same. The volume control pot on one has gotten a little dirty. The only thing I can fault it for is the sound quality on AM and shortwave. Not bad but it could be better. My Kaito KA1103 sounds much better but the ergonomics are weird. As I am an AM broadcast band DX'er I like being able to go up or down 10 kHz by pushing a button. The Kaito will not do that.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is at least $50.00 more but has synchronous detection, a very desirable feature. However its sound quality is subpar for a $150.00 radio.

The G4000A will probably please most people. I do recommend it despite its minor shortcomings.