Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna.

KD0ILM  Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 00:40  Send this review to a friend!
Surprisingly good antenna - got me back on the air  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Saigon Vietnam and had to move from a place with a decent antenna to a 25 story apartment building. I tried a long wire out the window at night and an indoor dipole with poor results. At a last resort I bought this MFJ-1622 apartment antennas. It is well made and very easy to set up. I do not have an antenna analyzer but the SWR meter on my tuner made cutting the single counterpoise wires easy. I cut different lengths and used connectors so that I can lengthen and shorten them depending upon the band. This added about 20 minutes to the entire job. I am on the 14th floor so the wires were each pretty close to 1/4 wave. The window mount is excellent and very versatile. Be sure to use the anchor rope that they include. I did lose it one day and the rope saved anyone below me.

I have been shocked at the performance of this antenna. It is not a beam or a "miracle" antenna but I get out with it and I am back on the air. On PSK31 I have made contact up to 8,000 miles away. 3,000 is routine into Japan, China and Asiatic Russia. My noise level here in the city is about S9 most of the time so cannot comment on SSB usage. With a compromise antenna like this you also learn a lot about propagation which is a plus.
If you need stealth operation this is a good one to look at and the price is right.