Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-B6 Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng UV-B6

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-B6.

KC2IJI  Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2013 16:51  Send this review to a friend!
Surprisingly good for the $  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the UV-B5, which is the B6 with a central knob and no flashlight. I've had it a week or so now, and have been able to play around with it. I wanted a new HT, something I could program without a computer, after an annoying experience with my VX2R. My Yaesu was getting on after 5 or so years.

The Baofeng is well built, and feels good in the hand. Buttons are tight with a definite pop when pressed. The manual is in OK english and covers most of the basics. The unit is designed for a worldwide market, so things like band limits don't exist. You are an adult here. Like wise there are a lot of programmable calling options you won't use in ham-land. CTCSS and splits are easy to program. It feels like a much more expensive unit. While there are two displayed frequencies, it is one unit, with one "current" frequency, not a V/UHF setup like the Alinco.

I programmed in a few local repeaters, on 2 m and 440, and have received decent audio reports-distances from 5 to 20 miles, with a line of sight. Listening in on a local public safety outlet, with a very, very close repeater showed the receive side a bit overwhelmed, but audio improved a mile or so away. In suburban use, the receive is decent-I've not been in any cities yet, so I don't know how it will respond to the onslaught of pager towers and taxi companies running way more power than the license allows. The squelch tail was a bit loud at first but once the radio broke it it got lower-there are also a few adjustments for squelch tail so maybe I fixed it. Picking up local police, fire, WX, etc, it works well. It also picks up FM broadcast, but will break in when your channel is used...The scan function is better than a lot of HT I have used-fast enough for your local sources. I've not yet figured out how to lockout channels or get alpha tags to show, but I'm working on it.

There are a few features that make you wonder, but they don't detract from the unit in ham use...like the panic button.

Battery life after a few charge-discharge cycles is good-all day.

I don't have cause to use it on any other radio services, but they claim it is part 90 certified. If you want an HT that is easy to use and you don't have to stress about dropping/losing, it does well. I've yet to find the "stupid" feature, or the obtuse command set, or like the VX2r, the software conflicts (and no easy way to program the device by hand). Overall, while it is not a Motorola product by a long shot, it stands up to my older Alinco, and my VX2R. For the $53 shipped from 409 shop, charger and earpiece included, it's a steal, and easier to use than the VX2R.