Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Show all reviews of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

KJ1H  Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2013 17:02  Send this review to a friend!
Good bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As I write this, I've had my MP-1 for precisely one day. I've had poor luck getting an HF mobile station to work, and I'd been considering a Buddistick to try HF portable instead - park the car, throw up an antenna, and get on the air. Then saw the MP-1 during HRO's sale yesterday, and got it for half the price of the Buddistick. When I got home I set it up, clamped it to my car's trailer hitch (NOT for mobile use, just to clamp it somewhere!) and failed to make any contacts whatsoever on several bands.

By chance I had a friendly chat with AB1MI last night, who has been using this antenna extensively and gave me some hints. Today I used some speaker wire to make a much longer ground wire than the MP-1 comes with. I set it up again, connected my new ground, tuned for 17 meters, and soon worked HK4CZE in Columbia. Later I tuned it for 30 meters and had a nice chat with N0NWO in Minnesota.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the antenna. I give it a 4 rather than a 5 because it comes with everything you need except an adequate ground system. But all of the other components are good quality, and after making my own ground it's working great, even with the short telescoping whip it comes with. I intend to build a stand for it so I can give it a little elevation and move it away from the car, and pick up a longer whip at some point to improve its performance even further. But it's working fine right now, and I'm looking forward to getting back on HF regularly.