Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | TRX Communication 392M 80-10 mobile antenna Help

Show all reviews of the TRX Communication 392M 80-10 mobile antenna

You can write your own review of the TRX Communication 392M 80-10 mobile antenna.

WP4MLX  Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 13:48  Send this review to a friend!
TRX Communication 392M 80-10 mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi

First of all I don't speak English but I will try to do my best,,, sorry for any errors and/or horrors =)

This is my specific antenna setup and my opinions regarding this new antenna coil.

I bought mine on ebay for $95 if my mind don't fail plus s/h. Item arrived very fast and in perfect shape.

I bough one 392m coil got it just for test because I plan to do radio away from home. When I held the coil on my hand I was impressed because its very very well constructed. This coil will be my first portable antenna, no experience and no knowledge about going portable.

First off all the instructions need to be edited and retyped because they need to includes more info and be more detailed, because they are like a "review" of the developer BUT I want to thanks because I learn a lot looking for info.

The instructions explain a "sample" setup and specify that each particular setup can be different.... very true. They recommend a 10m ham stick antenna (I got one working good) or a 102" CB whip (I own one for years). They used an 80" whip and also recommend a 10 turns 3/4" of diameter hand wound coil to help match the antenna or add capacitance between antenna base and ground also a good ground or counterpoise (new word for me).

I set mine with the ham sick antenna and was impossible to get an acceptable swr reading not even on 10m. Tested the coil method and just get things worst! The 102" whip was a really nightmare and I think about throw the coil to the trash =). Trying to get close as possible to the "instructions sample setup" I took my old 102" and cut it to 80" but not improvements at all. I also made a few matching coils to test with no success.

After all I begin to read about counterpoise, radials and ground cables. Now with the knowledge about counterpoise cables I looked around and found 16' of #14 electrical wire and the light was created!!! I was able to use the antenna on 15m, 20m and 40m with 2:1 swr with good reports but I was not satisfied so I bough more #14 cable and made 4 counterpoise cables with the exact 1/4 wave length for each of the bands I was interested (10m,15m,20m and 40m).

After a research I found hams around the world using 2,3,4 or more counterpoise cables for their portable setups for each bands but I am using just 1 for each band (maybe later I can try with more cables) at a time. Some hams experimented reducing from 6"-1' at a time until the get better results and swr reading,,, I didn't.

Results: Excellent performance on 10m, 15m, 20m & 40m with 1.1-1.3
swr readings over the entire band,,, later may I try 80m. Great reports around the world. Very good reception. Very good construction.

Recommendations: Include the counterpoise cables like other coils and better and more complete instructions.