eHam.net - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net


Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Max-Gain Systems Fiberglass Push-Up Mast Help

Show all reviews of the Max-Gain Systems Fiberglass Push-Up Mast

You can write your own review of the Max-Gain Systems Fiberglass Push-Up Mast.

W5WAY  Rating: 2/5 Mar 19, 2013 13:57  Send this review to a friend!
Nice poles. Wish the clamps were too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 38 foot HD mast: The poles themselves are great. They are strong enough to handle flexing way beyond my comfort level. I was sure something would break during the recent couple of days of wind storms we had - 60 mph+ winds - but my G5RV and my vhf/uhf vertical are still up there. I have the thing standing out in the yard on a homebrew tilt mount with 3 sets of guys.

The clamps are the reason I gave this system such a low rating, as they are basically what defines the "system" (you can buy fiberglass reinforced plastic pipe lots of places). They SLIP. When I figured I had adjusted a particularly troublesome one enough not to slip, it shattered. So I drove in 3 screws at that joint and called it good. Then, of course, I was gun-shy with the other clamps. There appears to be a too delicate balance between tight enough to hold and so tight the clamp shatters. Maybe I just got a bad clamp, but as I say - gun-shy about them now. Anyway, all that's the reason for the "2 - Needs help" rating.

I finally got tired enough of adjusting guys and/or climbing up and re-extending mast sections that I hope I have rigged a solution. This morning was calm so I let the whole thing down (it's always the upper sections that slip the most :facepalm:) and as I locked each section into place I drove a #8 x 1" screw into the ~3mm hole each clamp has in its approximate center, adding just a bit more holding power hopefully without compromising the strength of the poles. It's not a great solution, but it's a solution.

The aforementioned shattered clamp: I cut the other "ear" off the clamp, secured the joint with a stainless hose clamp, and drove my screws back in. That'll be the strongest joint of all of them.

Knowing what I know now, I'd just buy the poles and let them keep their clamps.
 
Product is in production.
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this review.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help


If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews please email your Reviews Manager