Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-200 Help

Show all reviews of the Radio Shack DX-200

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-200.

W4ARZ  Rating: 3/5 Mar 21, 2013 10:02  Send this review to a friend!
Casual Listener  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its been a while since anyone posted here.The way I see it the DX-200 was built as an inexpensive general coverage receiver to fill the need of the beginner who could not afford the higher priced gear. I don't understand why hams here insist on comparing these entry level models with their $2K plus equipment. It's all in how you enjoy the hobby of radio. You wanna talk about drift ? I can name you at least 10 major brands beginning with Atlas and ending with Yaesu that all suffer from drift but people still boughtthem new and still buy them on ebay...and here on eham. Fortunately the technology exists "today" where we can fix that problem in most any radio. Personally I enjoy and appreciate every single radio made because it is a part of our radio history. I restore, modify and operate these gems from the 1920's to present date. The simple but functional DX-200 aligned and serviced properly is a joy for casual AM/SW/CW/SSB listening. But you have to know how to operate a vintage radio. Comparing it to a modern digital model is pointless. One who really enjoys the art and hobby of radio can apprecite the DX-200 as well as the Drakes, the Swans, the Heathkits and the Hallicrafters and more. The DX-200 performs well IF you feed it with a GOOD antenna. I use a carolina windom 160 and it plays great. Audio is good and you can upgrade it's speaker cheaply if you want better sound. Communicaions radios of that era were not hi fi unless you spent $$$ for an SP-600 etc. The DX-200 bfo works well. For the price and what it is I think the receiver is a good addition to my collection. Again its all about how much you enjoy the different levels of older equipment.