Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Funcube Help

Show all reviews of the Funcube

You can write your own review of the Funcube.

JETPILOT  Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2013 17:27  Send this review to a friend!
WOW I love this thing Amazing Bargin  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a TenTex RX320D, computer controlled radio, but it was not SDR software defined radio, that can show a spectrum of the band real time. I sold the RX320D when I moved and was looking for another computer controlled radio. I'd buy another TenTec RX320D, but been there done that. I was looking for a true SCR. I asked around and figured for $210 to the door I could not go wrong. I ordered it on Saturday and got it TUESDAY, FedEx. I had it working in 5 minutes. And I don't know what I am doing, HA HA! :-)

I plugged it in the laptop USB. It said load drivers and so I did. I looked for some kind of icon. Nothing, so I figured I needed software. I downloaded SDR# (stable), loaded it, opened the application. (There are lots of shareware Software, free to try and use with good faith donation. I did some homework on the Yahoo Funcube group about software.) This all took a few minutes from the time I got home from work, and I got the package and opened it.

In about 30 seconds after I got the software installed (one minute to down load and load), I opened the software. I figured out some basic settings and had static. I striped a twist tie wire for my antenna, connected to an extension chord (of course not plugged into wall DOAH!). This all took a few minutes.

In 30 seconds more I tuned some local AM BCB stations.... I preceded to listen to AM MW, FM BCB and finally a station at 11,880 Kz. Pretty nice. Played with it for about 30 minutes. Looking forward to exploring it's capability.

I ordered some adapter connector pig tails to the SMA connector to PL259 and BNC.

For the money there is no SDR radio like it. WinRadio starts at $800.

As to the other reviews and ZERO or TWO rating, OPERATOR ERROR! OK. Also you DO NOT see these in mass on eBay. The designer Howard Long sells out of these. BTW go to YouTube and spend 50 minutes listening to how Howard designed and got these built. Amazing Gent. Join the Yahoo FunCube Dongle Group....... lots of good folks to help you. Again I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING AND HAD IT UP AND RUNNING IN 5 MINUTES.

As far as sensitivity, it is good.... will it win competitions? No, but the reports it had dead ears are just not true. I have heard it does benefit from some-kind of bandpass or notch filter to get bet performance in the General HF band (>30MHz). However this thing goes from 150Khz to 2 GHZ!!!! For $200 it is amazing.