Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-98 Tri-Band Antenna (2m, 70cm, 23cm) Help

Show all reviews of the Comet GP-98 Tri-Band Antenna (2m, 70cm, 23cm)

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-98 Tri-Band Antenna (2m, 70cm, 23cm).

W8MLD  Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 11:22  Send this review to a friend!
Very tough and good performer for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Comet GP-98 early last fall, because my only VHF antenna at the time was a home brewed 2 meter ground plane made out of an SO-239 and brass rods. It was a great antenna for 2 meters, but my Kenwood TS-2000X also had 70 cm and 23 cm. I used 3 LMR400 jumpers to a Comet CFX-4310 triplexer with 100 feet of more LMR400 to a mast on the roof of my house. The GP-98 is at about 30 feet. It has quite a bit of gain over my home brew ground plane. From my QTH in Lima OH I have no problem talking on the WC8OH repeater in Dayton; which is over 60 miles away, or the repeaters in Findlay, Defiance, Fort Wayne and Columbus (Columbus when conditions are right for ducting) on 2 meters. I have also used it on 2 meter SSB with decent results. On 70 cm my range isn't as good as 2 meters, but it is at half the power. Still, I easily make it clearly into repeaters 40 miles away. I've had one 23 cm SSB EME contact on it, but it was very very weak, and the other ham had a difficult time hearing me as the 23 cm module in the TS2000 is only 10 watts. Plus with loss in the coax my ERP was probably only 5 watts. There are no 23 cm repeaters in my immediate area to test it's performance on those. So far it has survived 65+ mph winds and some moderate icing. I used N connectors on the main feedline to the antenna. I am hoping to be able to make a contact with the ISS with this antenna if I can catch them transmitting on a fly by. I figure if I could with the 1/4 home brew ground plane then the GP-98 should be no problem. Overall it is a fine tough antenna, and well worth the price. My tower is going up this spring and the GP-98 will be the top antenna on the mast; unless I get my hands on a Bencher Skyhawk before the tower goes up