Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-209RH Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-209RH

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-209RH.

IZ2EAS  Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2013 02:46  Send this review to a friend!
My time machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT209RH was my very first radio; I bought it in December 1985 when I got my ticket. I used it quite intensively for a few years: first on voice, on local direct and repeater frequencies; later, in 1988, for packet radio - a lot of fun. In 1991 it eventually developed a fault in the CPU module that I was not able to fix, so it was discarded.

Fast forward.... a couple of months ago a friend of mine gave me his old FT209RH, that he wasn't using any longer and that had been sleeping in a drawer for the last few years. For me it was a jump in the past! After almost 30 years of life, the radio needed attention, but I was determined to fix it, no matter what! So I started working on it, and in a few weeks of part-time work I brought it back to its original "splendor"; I had to replace: both potentiometers (on/off-volume and squelch - they had gone bananas), all the electrolytic capacitors (they were leaking or dry) and the lithium back-up battery (flat, of course, after 27 years...).

The FNB-4 battery pack was exhausted, so I decided to treat me to a brand new one (yes, I could have replaced the elements inside, but the pack itself was quite beaten-up... I kept it for future project). The pack that is available today is a NiCd (!) 12V, 1200 mAh, that is quite good; the only drawback is that it is longer than the original FNB-4, so the original protective case won't fit, and the radio is really loooong (almost 21 cm, without the antenna).... quite funny, it definitely looks vintage !

Of course, no CTCSS (on the European version they were not even an option)... so a lot of repeaters are not accessible, but who cares... I am using it at home, for QSOs on local VHF frequencies, connected to my external antenna. This time I am going to keep it !

73, Michele IZ2EAS