Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 77Sx Help

Show all reviews of the Alpha 77Sx

You can write your own review of the Alpha 77Sx.

KC0W  Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2013 14:24  Send this review to a friend!
Power Supply is the Achilles Heal of 77Sx's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Dick Byrd converted Alpha 77Sx roughly 8 months ago. The amp has been heavily used every weekend for DXing & contesting. The amp has been used almost exclusively on CW.

Alpha really dropped the ball regarding the 77Sx's much underrated (more like training wheels) power supply. I have solicited the help of both Dick Byrd & Harbach Electronics to find a solution. This dilemma has left all three of us scratching our heads.

I recently re-tubed it with a new pair of 8877's. Any way you slice it this is not a cheap proposition. A new pair of Svetlana 8877's are now just over $4,000.......Crazy!!! Legal limit is achieved with 35 watts or so depending on the band. Load & tune are rock solid in terms of duplication. Blower noise is an absolute non issue. Quiet as a mouse.

If you're in the market for a 77Sx they are not imposable to find. They pop up on QTH.com all the time. If I had to do it all over again I would take a long hard look at a nice Henry 8k. At least Henry knew what they were doing in terms of power supply's.

Bottom line: Ascetically beautiful amp, quiet, loafs along at 1500w, a real back breaker if one lifts a 77Sx without assistance........Alpha a-l-m-o-s-t hit a home run with this one.

Tom KCW