Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 374 Help

Show all reviews of the Alpha 374

You can write your own review of the Alpha 374.

KH6P  Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2013 17:08  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Alpha 374 in the early 80's from another ham, and have used it on the air ever since. Originally, I drove it with a TS-130S, then an Icom IC-751A, and now with my Elecraft K-3. The Alpha is still going strong on the original 8874's, although I have three new ones in reserve, should I ever need them. The amplifier will work on all bands 80 through 10 meters, except 12 meters, and has pretuned band switch positions for 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters, so changing bands is a smap, no manual tuning needed. I leave the manual tune position for 20 meters set up for 17 meters, so I am ready for that band as well. The only modifications that I have made to the amplifier is to send it to Dick Byrd (N4UQ) to incorporate his solid state QSK circuitry, which eliminated the relay noise. I recently bought a new RF choke that is not resonant at 25MHz, and once that is installed, the amplifier should put out 1.5KW PEP on 12m as well. Bottom line, a very solidly built, reliable amplifier.