Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | OPEK HVT-400 Help

Show all reviews of the OPEK HVT-400

You can write your own review of the OPEK HVT-400.

KC0UUT  Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2013 05:59  Send this review to a friend!
Good antenna value.   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the HVT-400 for 10 months. It is mounted on my Van using a MFJ triple magnet mount.

Pros:
1) It works very well. I live in Minnesota and can routinely reach the east or west coast. When band conditions are good (solar flux > 110) I have made contact with Europe and South America.
2) Little wind loading. The triple mag mount has held it in place nicely, even when driving into strong headwinds on a freeway.
3) Low price.

Cons:
Workmanship- As another reviewer mentioned, the collar with the set screw that holds the whip in place was not crimped properly. The loose collar created a lot of static. I called the factory about this. They offered to give me a new antenna but mentioned that if I want, I could first try to fix this myself by soldering the collar in place. I did solder it using a 100 watt soldering iron. This eliminated the static and the repair is still holding 9 months later.

Other:
SWR - I recommend using a tuner so you don't have to readjust the whip. My rig has a tuner that can handle up to a 3:1 SWR mismatch and can tune the antenna nicely.

I would consider purchasing this antenna again.