Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-950

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

VE7AZC  Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2013 15:01  Send this review to a friend!
FB for casual Op  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi folks,

I am NOT a contestor, just a rag-chewin' SSB'er.

To the FT-950 I have added the IF board and the LP Pan adapter, pro level sound card in the PC. Using Power SDR/IF Stage software I have a radio that's lots of fun and easy to use. I have been using it this way for a couple of years. A little more versatile than the Icom Pro series ... a lot less money, too!

Being strictly SSB I use the Heil Pro Set Elite with the HC-6 element. The radio's on board EQ is pretty good and adjusts for nice sounding intelligible articulation.

Yup ... the 3K roofing filter is a joke!
Yup ... having the tx power embedded in the menu is unfathomably stupid.

Even so, with the pan scope set up on a nice big PC monitor and using the contour, shift and width controls I can have some pretty enjoyable QSO's. It does well at eliminating most common modes of noise.

I quit looking at specifications some time ago.

It is my assertion that given the noise encountered at my QTH, more dollars spent would likely be a case of rapidly diminishing returns. All the great receiver specs in the world, IMO will not allow me to hear more than what this level of radio will deliver for my uses.

Have fun, be polite and keep your stick on the ice.

Cheers,