Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Sirio SD 1300 Discone Help

Show all reviews of the Sirio SD 1300 Discone

You can write your own review of the Sirio SD 1300 Discone.

K1LDS  Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 21:43  Send this review to a friend!
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed a wideband antenna for use with my scanner, as well as VHF TX/RX, and ran across this one (for about $100).

When the time came to assemble and raise it, I was impressed by the quality of both design and construction, which were at the level that I've seen in commercial/marine/aviation antennas costing far more than I paid for this one.

The instructions give full details on assembly. The parts kit included the hex wrench needed to drive the setscrews for the lower ("cone") elements, and plastic ends for all elements.

The disc elements are the last ones that you want to attach, so that you have clearance for the hex wrench. They are threaded rods, which screw into the base, then are snugged down by running the nuts down until they are tight.

Performance is better than expected -- hooked up to the scanner, I've been picking up signals from greater distances than the single-band antenna that this replaced.

Transmitting performance is also good on both 2m and 440.

My only complaint is that the thin, stainless steel tubes which make up the cone are light enough that even light winds make them vibrate and set up a resonant hum. This transmits itself to the metal mast and then to the body of my motor home. I cured it with a simple fix -- I tossed a bicycle tire inner tube over the tubes, and they no longer hum in the wind.

I can recommend this antenna highly.