Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Treetop Product Detector SB-51 Help

Show all reviews of the Treetop Product Detector SB-51

You can write your own review of the Treetop Product Detector SB-51.

W2HLD  Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 13:43  Send this review to a friend!
Just plain amazing!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a 51J4 that was modified with the conventional Product Detector and AVC designs found in '60's era CQ Magazine and commonally described on the web. The key issue I had with this approach was an anoying popping sound when a received station keyed or voxed up. The only way around this was to "ride" the RF Gain control. It also seemed that the audio gain needed to be raised somewhat higher than I would have expected.
I decided to install the SB-51 and returned the J4 to its original circuit design, less the product detector and AVC modification. The SB-51 is very simple to install and when I fired it up was just amazed at the performance. My J4 now performs as expected on AM and CW but also provides excellent reception on SSB. This is a great addition to the 51J4.. super results with very little expense and ease of installation.
I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this product. If you want great ssb reception on your vintage Collins radio like the J4, you can't do better than the SB-51.