Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Show all reviews of the DXLab by AA6YQ

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

ON4VP  Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 20:39  Send this review to a friend!
Loaded with features, great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I installed the suite and requested to join the Yahoo support group, the first message from Dave were: "Don't be afraid to post questions, even if they were handled before". With other words, a warm welcome and not like in other reflectors where a new kid on the block gets being bashed for asking a question that was asked before.

This almost immediately make me feel good about trying to learn to know the suite. And you should. It takes some time to go trough all the documentation and learn to understand all the suite has to offer. A good advise from Dave is to start using what you need, get familiar and work yourself trough the process.

I've been using logger32 for years. So adapting to dxlab took some time. But it paid off. I now got to the point where I'm going to work from here and stay with the suite to maintain my logs. I'm thinking about installing the suite on my laptops to for portable use.

Some very positive observations that I made as they are personal to my taste:

- Fantastic and very fast support.
- Interesting Yahoo support group.
- Good wiki pages with first time usage tips.
- Loaded with features and tools
- Great dx spots collector with lots of filters.
- DX view window with tonnes of information.
- Propagation prediction built right in.
- LOTW EQSL and Clublog supported with (semi) auto functions for up and downloading and QSL-ing.
- Support for multiple monitors.
- Extended CAT support for most radios.
- Multiple radios supported.
- Antenna rotator control supported.

Some observations I made that I'm have to getting used to:

- Because of the extended modules, loading the suite takes some time.
- Because of the extended logbook functions, response of the logbook windows is rather slow.
- Fully loaded and in use, takes up fair amount of computer resources.
- Could not find a shortkey for SP or LP antenna turning without leaving qso input window.
- Fairly steep learning curve before you are familiar with the suite.
- Could not find a way to reduce the amount of windows in the win warbler window for digital modes. To my taste 3 qso's is to much.

The balance is very positive. After I got familiar with most parts of the suite, I started to like the suite a lot and I'm enjoying all the features that I'm interested in. A lot of the parts are loaded with tools. First impression when loading the suite was perhaps that the interface looks a bit to much visual basic but that's a minor thing. What counts is the way most things work and interact making it a fine suite to help the operator supervising his logging and dx work.