Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Elecraft BL2 250-W Balun with 4:1 / 1:1 Switch Help

Show all reviews of the Elecraft BL2 250-W Balun with 4:1 / 1:1 Switch

You can write your own review of the Elecraft BL2 250-W Balun with 4:1 / 1:1 Switch.

K2CPE  Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2013 16:58  Send this review to a friend!
very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After superstorm Sandy I erected a 140' Cobra Ultralite Senior, a ladder line fed doublet , connected to my 10 watt K2 thru an LDG RBA-4:1 voltage balun. This set up worked fairly well showing 1.5 (or better) on all bands except on 160m where it would show 9:1 (not unexpected) and on 15m the best it would do was 4.5:1.

So I decided to purchase and assemble the Elecraft BL2 balun, switchable from 4:1 to 1:1. The assembly was easy and I now get less than 1.5:1 on all bands. My only reason for giving a rating of 4 is because the supplied binding screws/washers are too small for my fat fingers to make easy connections....its doable but a bit fiddly if you are going to make frequent antenna disconnection/re-connections....such as going out for portable ops, etc.

I purchased a lexan enclosure for the BL2 from W8FGU (very well made : http://home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html) to which I will mount more substantial binding post/banana plug connectors, which will make connecting to antenna leads very quick, a plus when lightning approaches.

Rich K2CPE