Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical Help

Show all reviews of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA5V 5 band vertical.

K0DV  Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2013 08:49  Send this review to a friend!
No quality control!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the MA5V antenna because I needed a stealth like antenna in my restricted Florida neighborhood and because Cushcraft has (or had) a good name... until it was bought by MFJ. Antenna arrived and would only tune to 20 meters, all of the four other bands, 10, 15, 12 and 17 had no SWR dip. Called MFJ and they sent new elements for these bands. Same result... no dips. Packaged it up ready to send back and have them return my money when I decided to take off the liquid tape where the coils connected to the elements to see if the connections were good. It took a lot of scraping and fussing with an exacto knife to do this. I was surprised to find that they used enameled wire in the coils and did not scrape the ends of the wires! What's more the wires were inserted into wire clips on the elements, but none of them were soldered! I had to scrape off the liquid tape from 20 connections (did the 20 meter coils too), clean off the enamel and solder all of them. Then, I got the dips and could tune the antenna. Called MFJ again to tell them how I fixed their antenna... their response, was... "I'll walk back there and talk to them." Once the connections were fixed, the antenna worked nicely although its bandwidth is quite narrow on most bands. The antenna fit the bill as a very small profile stealth antenna that works, but the experience of getting it working was frustrating, to say the least. Beware of quality control.