Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Drake L-4B Help

Show all reviews of the Drake L-4B

You can write your own review of the Drake L-4B.

W5HG  Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 06:56  Send this review to a friend!
Its a Great Amp   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp for 5 years or so now. I was basically the second user of this amp that had not been used for ten or more years. Another operator had inherited it but never used it. When I first looked at it , the amp looked new. I bought it for $600 and figured new caps would be needed fairly soon. I fired it up when I got home and it worked great. It will do about a 1000 watts or better but I drive it with about 65 watts and get around 800 watts. I've used it for around 5 years now and I smelled something burning one night. The next day I turned it on and the Plate voltage was half of what it normally was suppose to be. What I had feared had finally happened. I did some research and bought the power module replacement kit from Harbach Electronics. I also bought the rest of the items they were selling for the L-4B such as the soft start. A good friend of mine did his magic to it and it works like a charm again. The plate voltage is back to a little over 2700. The 3-500z tube is still being sold and easily found. My amp still has the original Eimac tubes. As some of you may know this amp only does 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. It does not include any of the WARC frequencies but what HF frequencies it does do, it does them well. The Drake L-4B being a amplifier made in the 60's and 70's is a very good looking amp. Very pleased with its looks and performance.