Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Show all reviews of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

K1EHZ  Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 10:04  Send this review to a friend!
Works well for its size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In recent years I have tried about a dozen resonant (no tuner) and non-resonant (tuner required) antennas for portable operation on 10m to 20m at power ranging from 5 to 100 watts: random wires, dipoles, folded dipoles, PAC-12, MFJ 16' whip with radials, homebrew trapped 10-15-20m EFHW, PAR 20m EFHW, and MP-1. All produced SSB QSOs between the US and Europe, with 1000 miles/watt common under favorable propagation.

Each antenna represents compromises between convenient deployment, transportability, and receive and transmit efficiency. For me, the MP-1 wins on convenient deployment and transportability, with the MFJ 16' whip a close second. The homebrew 10-15-20m EFHW is my top all-around choice when I can take along the 31' Jackite pole.

Working portable on Puget Sound in April 2013, I compared the MP-1 to the homebrew 10-15-20m trapped EFHW on a 31' Jackite pole. Both antennas were mounted on a bulkhead at the shore within 25' of the transceiver. The MP-1 was configured with the stock 10-12-15-17m radial set (4 radials of different lengths), small tripod, and 50' of RG-8X. No tuner was involved for either antenna, and there was a 1:1 choke balun at the transceiver. The MP-1 coil was adjusted for low SWR (~1:1.5) using the MP-1 directions and the ICOM 7200 SWR meter. Only slight fine adjustment was needed after measuring the coil position for 15m with the diagram provided.

A station in the Canary Islands (5482 miles away) was quite strong, so I gave a call using 100 watts and the MP-1. My signal report from him was 33 and his report was 57 from me. I moved the coax to the EFHW and had a second QSO with the same station. My report from him ranged from 44 to 56 in QSB, and his was 59 from me. The two QSOs were 8 minutes apart.

Although less than a perfect test, it was a very practical comparison. It is not surprising that the MP-1 produced lower signal reports than a half-wave antenna almost 3x taller. However, the MP-1 worked and did not require a 31' fiberglass pole. It also covers many more bands with additional radials.

The MP-1 definitely has a place in my travel kit. Construction is excellent, and I have found the service to be responsive.