Categories | Keys & Paddles | Junker D.G.B.M. Help

Show all reviews of the Junker D.G.B.M.

You can write your own review of the Junker D.G.B.M..

K7RNO  Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 12:12  Send this review to a friend!
Über precision!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(Correction of my previous review regarding gaps)

I cannot add much more than has already been said, but I can add some. Mine is the navy gray version with click stop on the gap adjust.

Get this: it is designed with so much precision in mind that each click of that thumb wheel represents (drumroll) 0.01mm increase/decrease in gap! That wheel has a stop (removable), and my sample has an effective gap range of 0.27 to 0 mm. After removing the stop, larger gaps would be possible. I am using it at 0.1 mm gap, which gives it an effective travel of 0.5mm at the center of the knob.

The spring adjust thumb wheel is not linear. Weight appears to increase unproportionally with turning it clockwise. The Germans need to go back to the drawing board on that one!

Still, at a usable range (for me), I get 175g increase out of one full rotation. I am using it at 100g weight at the knob.

My sample has the coil plus a resistor and a cap inside. The navy must have been more concerned with sparks than the army was, if the green versions of this key don't have those guts (which I don't know).

All that said, I got my sample at ebay.de. They come up every week and sell between some 20 and 50 euros, depending on how many hot bidders there are. The problem is to find a seller who is willing to ship to the US (if that is where you are). Ask them upfront, before you bid, and expect around €18 for shipping with DHL (at current pricing).

Now I have to disclose that I have known these keys since the late '60s when I joined the German navy for four years. They are also the only key I know, so I cannot compare. However, I can say that I never came across a specimen that didn't work or that was not feeling as precise as all the others and as the one I have again today.

German engineering, what else can I say ;)