Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | SteppIr 2 element Help

Show all reviews of the SteppIr 2 element

You can write your own review of the SteppIr 2 element.

W9LP  Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 10:52  Send this review to a friend!
Suprising Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I could see in February 2007 that my ground-mounted vertical wasn't going to be enough to bag the much-needed BS7H Scarborough Reef DX-pedition that April. I could also see that a traditional antenna installation was out of the question during our Chicago winter. So I opted for 40' of Rohn 25 and the SteppIR 2 element yagi temporarily strapped to my chimney.

To look at it, this antenna seems neither show nor substance... two elements on a 57" boom covering 20m thru 6m? I was expecting a marginal improvement over my vertical at best... nothing more.

While I had no luck with BS7H, this antenna worked so surprisingly well that it remained in the "temporary" location for another two years until I put up my permanent tower and Dream Beam. The forward gain was quite respectable, front-to-back was comparable to a 3 element yagi I'd owned in another life and the side rejection was absolutely awesome.

This antenna is light, easily constructed/maintained and a great overall performer given its size. Of course, it comes with the traditional benefits of a SteppIR... perfect VSWR on all bands and automated control if you connect it to your Rig and PC.

I have no concerns using this 2 El as a main antenna and have recommended just that to several other hams with more constrained physical settings. I keep mine as a backup to my DB-18E, for use at our DX club's annual convention here in Chicago and for portable needs as the opportunity arises.

If your antenna setting is constrained, you should give this antenna very serious consideration.