Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-480SAT Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-480SAT

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-480SAT.

K8RJL  Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 16:39  Send this review to a friend!
Great for home and mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Originally purchased a TS-590S but it was too much trouble to pack up for mobile use at the park. Sold it and purchased the 480SAT. Couldn't be happier. It fits in my backpack for transporting and is easy to setup in minutes in the mobile.

The internal tuner will fine tune my Hustler resonators on 20 and 40M no problem for mobile operation. It will also tune up my end fed home antenna that covers 40-10M. The internal tuner will not tune up some bands that the 590's tuner would as the 590 tuner is 10:1 while the 480SAT is around 3:1 with it's tuning capabilities.

Operation is very nice. Great RX on this radio. I have not had any issues with RF getting into the head unit at all. The display head is actually smaller than I thought it was which makes it fit nicely in a GPS mount in my vehicle. TX audio is very nice and punchy with the stock mic. I do not run the processor, I prefer stock audio.

The digital noise limiter as Kenwood calls it will eliminate some of the noise I have in the mobile but it's not as good as the 590 which removed it all. I expected as much being that the 590 is a newer radio with better technology I would assume.

Audio DSP is pretty good though the 590's IF DSP was much better at adjacent signal rejection by far. But again I knew this before I purchased it. I do not contest so the audio DSP is fine for my purposes.

Overall I am very satisfied and would highly encourage others to try this radio if you need home and mobile with one radio.