Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-990S Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-990S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-990S.

M0NJA  Rating: 2/5 Apr 28, 2013 04:59  Send this review to a friend!
Nice feel but few niggles   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sat in the shop for two hours with my headphones playing with this on receive. Coming from a TS 950 VMSDX with flat receive and having a LP panadapter I found a few issues that stopped me buy this.
No matter how much I eq the receive equaliser it sounded thin even with the low cut filter width on zero and it could not hit my headphones with any decent depth. Then using the high contour on the filter it had limited options lots less than I have on the SDX. So trying to remove splatter it had to be adjusted in big steps. Ok now this radio goes narrow down to around 1k wide on ssb but your do well to recognise much being said that narrow. And finally the scope does not line up perfect or even close to the signals received. The zero line sits into the signal not at the edge of each side band as you see on Flex radio etc. Ok your more or less on the signal but it's not accurate I was using the options to set it in the centre of the signal but to the edge could not be lined up tight. This radio should be more SDR based in my opinion but its mish mash of ideas. Having infinite adjustment filters in the flex software I use with my panadapter keeps the fidelity the audio much nicer when only having to remove the exact amount of offending qrm at a time leaving more audio to be retrieved not cutting huge lumps of high frequencies like the ts 990s is doing. So other than these issues yes the noise reduction 1 is great notch is superb display is top stuff the feel of the radio is typical Kenwood. But if you have never had a Sdx with panadapter this would be your perfect radio and I would have thought so too. But I just cannot part with money to loose that SDX sound such a shame as the radio looks the best out there.