New to Ham Radio?
DX Cluster Spots
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Show all reviews of the T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea
You can write your own review
of the T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea.
Apr 28, 2013 09:51
Send this review to a friend!
Not bad - Meets expectations
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I want to preface the review and set the proper expectation on this antenna. This is NOT a 2 or 3 element full size beam. It will NOT perform nearly as good.. It will also NOT produce the results of a Hex Beam either.
Narrow bandwidth - you will need a wide range tuner. With tuner it tunes to 1:1 - 1:5 on all bands except ironically on 10 meters - the upper part of the band will not tune for me. Forget about 6 meters... the bandwidth is extremely narrow below 3:1 and outside of that it does not tune as it jumps to more than 10:1. Im using a LDG AT100PRO II tuner.
F/B Gain - Almost nothing, some times I think I hear better from the rear for 20m BUT some times its about 1S point in favor of the director. For 17 - 10 I would say its about 3s units almost always.
Price - Yes its too expensive. (UPS charged me $58 after the fact for brokerage and Customs fees into the US!!!!)
- Front to Side: Great, 3S points typically for 20m, and higher for other bands. But most dipoles have this.
- 1s better over my fan dipole at the same height on 20m, On 17 - 10 its 2-4x points better.
- 1-3s better over my end fed (full wave on 20m). 6s or better 17 - 10 (end fed not resonant on those bands but tunes to 1:1).
- 2s quieter over my fan dipole and 3s-5s quieter over my End Fed. YES THIS ANTENNA IS VERY QUIET! i cant believe it myself how much this make a difference over my wire dipole and my end fed.
- Looks like a medium size TV antenna
- Very easy to tune... I never tuned it on the ground I just put it up. I then tested it... Pulled off the spokes for the bands I needed to change. Put it up, did it again and was in the range I wanted. Took me about 1 hour to tune. All tuning spokes do not interfere with each other which makes tuning easy.
- Very light - No issues managing it by myself but I did have a second hand to help carry it up 25 feet to the base of my roof.
- High quality and great customer service. Tom responded within 24 hours of every email.
- 1500 PEP.
My recommendation? It depends. If you can go for the hex beam... then go for the hex beam. If you can go for the full size 2 element beam, then go for that also... This does not match the performance of the hex beam or a full size beam and is far more expensive including customs and brokerage fees. Unfortunately I was over ruled the XYL on putting up a Hex Beam. Thus this was my compromise. BUT BUT BUT - it is a great antenna with the proper expectations set. If you want low profile, slightly better performance on 20m, much better performance 17 - 10 over a dipole and you want a quieter antenna then this is for you.
Product is in production.
You are not subscribed to this review.
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews
please email your Reviews Manager