Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea Help

Show all reviews of the T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea

You can write your own review of the T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea.

KD2CJJ  Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2013 09:51  Send this review to a friend!
Not bad - Meets expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I want to preface the review and set the proper expectation on this antenna. This is NOT a 2 or 3 element full size beam. It will NOT perform nearly as good.. It will also NOT produce the results of a Hex Beam either.

CONs:
Narrow bandwidth - you will need a wide range tuner. With tuner it tunes to 1:1 - 1:5 on all bands except ironically on 10 meters - the upper part of the band will not tune for me. Forget about 6 meters... the bandwidth is extremely narrow below 3:1 and outside of that it does not tune as it jumps to more than 10:1. Im using a LDG AT100PRO II tuner.

F/B Gain - Almost nothing, some times I think I hear better from the rear for 20m BUT some times its about 1S point in favor of the director. For 17 - 10 I would say its about 3s units almost always.

Price - Yes its too expensive. (UPS charged me $58 after the fact for brokerage and Customs fees into the US!!!!)

PROs:

- Front to Side: Great, 3S points typically for 20m, and higher for other bands. But most dipoles have this.

- 1s better over my fan dipole at the same height on 20m, On 17 - 10 its 2-4x points better.

- 1-3s better over my end fed (full wave on 20m). 6s or better 17 - 10 (end fed not resonant on those bands but tunes to 1:1).

- 2s quieter over my fan dipole and 3s-5s quieter over my End Fed. YES THIS ANTENNA IS VERY QUIET! i cant believe it myself how much this make a difference over my wire dipole and my end fed.

- Looks like a medium size TV antenna

- Very easy to tune... I never tuned it on the ground I just put it up. I then tested it... Pulled off the spokes for the bands I needed to change. Put it up, did it again and was in the range I wanted. Took me about 1 hour to tune. All tuning spokes do not interfere with each other which makes tuning easy.

- Very light - No issues managing it by myself but I did have a second hand to help carry it up 25 feet to the base of my roof.

- High quality and great customer service. Tom responded within 24 hours of every email.

- 1500 PEP.

Closing Comments:
My recommendation? It depends. If you can go for the hex beam... then go for the hex beam. If you can go for the full size 2 element beam, then go for that also... This does not match the performance of the hex beam or a full size beam and is far more expensive including customs and brokerage fees. Unfortunately I was over ruled the XYL on putting up a Hex Beam. Thus this was my compromise. BUT BUT BUT - it is a great antenna with the proper expectations set. If you want low profile, slightly better performance on 20m, much better performance 17 - 10 over a dipole and you want a quieter antenna then this is for you.