Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7000

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

N8SBE  Rating: 0/5 Apr 29, 2013 14:27  Send this review to a friend!
After several years, let all the smoke out!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just experienced what a number of other folks have had, an IC-7000 that let all the smoke out!

I've never had a reason to go looking for reports of this sort on the IC-7000, but I see that a number of folks have had run-away thermal events on the PA board, as well. I've had this unit for several years, almost always in a mobile environment, and in this particular situation it was under the rear seat when it flamed out.

I'm very lucky it didn't set the vehicle on fire, the way the fan on the unit was working, up until enough of the PCB board burned up to kill power to the unit. In all that time, none of the fuses blew, neither the one on the radio, nor the two 30A fuses in the power cord.

I'll be calling Icom this evening to arrange for repair, but this experience has shaken my confidence in leaving this radio in my vehicle, connected directly to the battery as it is, even though it is protected by the required fuses, both in the engine compartment and at the radio.