Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Help

Show all reviews of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr.

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr..

DV1ZZ  Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 00:05  Send this review to a friend!
Would buy again in a heartbeat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After getting tired of my homebrew flat-top 40m dipole which gave me so-so performance on both 40 and 15 meters, I decided to jump into the G5RV bandwagon. I don't have the real estate as I'm located in a crowded city in Manila so the Jr. version seemed to be the logical choice.

So I went to the roof and installed a pulley on my 20ft 3/4" steel pipe, winched it up (30ft total) and put the sides on an approximately 90 degree angle. The feed line was running down the length of the steel pipe along with the RG8 coax.

IT WAS HORRIBLE! I couldn't hear anything and it performed worse than my homebrew dipole. I must have done something wrong.

I failed to notice that the G5RV must be fanned out to an angle of more than 120 degrees and that the 300 ohm feedline is also radiating RF. I fixed the ends and pulled it way up to around 120 degrees, attached some rope to the coax to pull the feedline to the side (around 45 degrees vertically) and that is when the antenna started to shine.

In just the first week alone I have 1:1 SWR on 40, 20 and 15 through an MFJ-949E. Running barefoot on SSB on a Kenwood TS-570D, I was able to work Poland, Italy, Russia, Finland and South Africa with good signal reports. My prized contact of all, the continental US (8000mi) using only 5W on 20m using voice!

Aside from getting one on the air quick, I think the G5RV Jr. is one the best bang for the buck antennas there is. I would gladly purchase a second one for portable or emergency use even though the price here in the Philippines is a bit high ($72) due to shipping costs.

I would have to agree with one of the reviews where he explained that the choice of the plastic insulators over the dog bone type ones were thought of well and not just for them to save money.

So buy it and get to work DX stations for next to nothing! Radiowavz sure has come up with a winner!