Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV-18VS Help

Show all reviews of the Hy-Gain AV-18VS

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV-18VS.

AL7QL  Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 09:11  Send this review to a friend!
Even Better After Modifying The Coil  Time owned: more than 12 months
As the original tuning coil is a bit flimsy especially for outdoor use I replaced the original coil with a Wolf River variable tuning coil. The Wolf River coil is very sturdy and designed to be used outdoors. The wire coil is tightly wound around a grooved pvc coil form designed to securely hold the coil windings in place. The tuning clip is also much more secure than the original. Instead of a clip, a sliding tuning coupler is moved up and down the coil to tune the antenna. Once tuned the coil can be securely locked in place. This approximately $40.00 add on made a huge difference in SWR on 80 meters. SWR is now near perfect and does not drift. Signal reports using my FLEX 1500 and my Tokyo Hy-Power 45 watt amp are outstanding. Other operators find it hard to believe I am only transmitting with 45 watts. So, a little change has made a huge difference and that is why I now rate the antenna 5/5. My original rating was 4/5. Sometimes I need to remember that although a good radio is important, the best radio made is no better than the antenna being used. As I have three antennas up, I choose the appropriate one for the job. For 80 Meter MARS operation I usually use the AV-18VS vertical with outstanding results and have participated in MARS nets from California to Texas and have made amateur contacts throughout the US. I live in New Mexico.