Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | JRC NRD-525 Help

Show all reviews of the JRC NRD-525

You can write your own review of the JRC NRD-525.

SCOWL  Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 15:56  Send this review to a friend!
Twenty years and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I graduated from college and got a real job over twenty years ago, I decided to spend my new income on my dream of purchasing the best shortwave receiver I could find. The local radio shop had four or five receivers but the passband knob of the NRD-525 was able to pull in readable signals that were unreadable noise on the other receivers. The ECSS function was tremendously useful on fading AM broadcasts. When I got it home I threw up a few feet of wire around my small apartment for an antenna and was amazed to be pulling in hams from around the world, strange utility stations, and every shortwave broadcast I could expect to receive. It was also nice to finally have a receiver that has no drift under any conditions.

The release of the NRD-535 just weeks later with its improved user interface bugged me and the release of the NRD-545 with its digital audio processing and dazzling front panel made me wonder if I should have waited. Looking back and reading the reviews, I don't feel so bad now.

I took a several year break from SWL as RF noise in my new neighborhood increased every year. This year I decided to put up a simple long wire thirty feet from my house and see if the NRD-525 still worked. Not only does it still work, it still is able to pull signals out of even more noise than twenty years ago. It doesn't appear to need adjustment or realignment since the frequency counter is still dead on and it's still just as sensitive as I remember. I would be tempted to get a narrower filter for RTTY but the audio processing of modern RTTY software would make that redundant.

The built-in speaker is crummy, especially its placement on the top of the receiver directing the audio towards the ceiling and it tends to collect dust. The user interface could be more intuitive. The multiple functions of buttons like "RUN" are easily forgotten. I had to look up how to use the "MEMO" button to save a frequency.

I've looked around and I can't find any other receiver that would serve me better after all these years.