Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-5R Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng UV-5R

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-5R.

W8EDV  Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 04:12  Send this review to a friend!
This Radio is a real sleeper !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned this UV 5R for almost a year, and it's just a fantastic value and a great performer as well.

Let me ask any of you guys, where are you going to find a brand new, dual band hand held, complete with charging cradle, battery, antenna, and an earpiece/mic for $42.86 with FREE shipping ? Are you kidding me? You can barely buy an extra battery for a Yaesu or an Icom, or any one of the other $400 dual band ht's for that kind of money.

I will say, those big brand name Hand helds that cost $400 bucks, have some extra features , like GPS, APRS, and a few other things, but this little Baofeng, talks and hears just as good for a fraction of the cost. It's a great little radio, the battery lasts an entire day, and I can buy a an extra battery if I want for $8 , try that with your new Kenwood or Yaesu.

I have seen some say the display is crappy, and it blurs after a long transmission, mine does not. The display on mine is crisp, clean, and looks great, easy to read as well. I can set it any one of 3 colors as well. When there is an incoming signal, the display lights up to let you know just in case you have the volume down real low, you will see it light up.

Overall for $42.86 this dual band hand held does everything I want. The radio transmits 5 watts high, 1 watt, low on VHF, and 4 watts high, 1 watt low on UHF as measured on a Bird watt meter, I was really impressed as some say they are not getting 5 watts out of it. The size is nice, it fits into my shirt pocket, and the belt clip is very solid and strong and grips and holds firmly. I put a Nagoya 771 antenna on this UV-5R and boosted the performance a lot. The transmit audio is loud, clear and clean from the reports I have gotten, and I have little to no problem with intermod when I go past places that rip into my Yaesu FT-60, so I think the front end on mine is just amazing.

Programming is very simple, just plug it into your computer and run the software, it's very straight forward and only takes a few minutes.

The Baofeng UV-5R is a very good radio for the price, it works, and it works very well. For what I paid for mine if I drop it on the concrete and it breaks I'll just throw it out and buy another one. I can't say that about any of those high priced hand helds out there. The expensive dual banders have their place, they have more features, they may be built better, they might be easier to operate, and feel better in your hand but at the end of the day, if you dont need APRS, or GPS, or Packet, then this little workhorse for under $50 bucks will serve you well as it has for me. They just keep getting better and better.