Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-480SAT Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-480SAT

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-480SAT.

LICENSED1962  Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 03:34  Send this review to a friend!
Another "great!"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cannot compare the 480SAT to other "modern" and more expensive HF/6 radios, having had only a few older transceivers over the years, with the exception of my IC718.

But here is my story and I'm sticking with it. When my IC718 gave up in Central America (probably user error) I had AEA send me a 480SAT, sight unseen. It arrived in a few weeks.

I was initially taken back by its size and the head, fearing RF problems from my mediocre antennas in close proximity. I need not have worried.

Now I have used it in Central and South America for about 18 months and I could not be happier with its size, the convenient head, flawless performance and complete ease of use.

I have only one minor disappointment: the antenna tuner is not as broad as I need, and I must use an external tuner (impeadence matcher) with my compact antennas.

150% happy with this rig and AES.