Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | AMERITRON ARB 704 Help

Show all reviews of the AMERITRON ARB 704

You can write your own review of the AMERITRON ARB 704.

NN8B  Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2013 07:26  Send this review to a friend!
The PNP-8M cable does it in.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got an ALS-600S amp and ARB-704 box with the PNP-8M cable to connect a Yaesu FT-897D to the amp. Could not get the ALC to work during setup of the amp, so called Ameritron. Ameritron had me checking the continuity of the cable, tried setting the pot on the back of the ALS-600S full clockwise instead of counter-clockwise to see if the pot was wired backwards. I then checked the FT-897D's manual for the Cat/Linear jack and saw the ALC line is not the same pin as the ALC line on the PNP-8M cable. Told Ameritron while on the phone and they got a manual for the FT-897D to verify what I told him. He agreed with me that the cable is wired wrong and suggested I modify the cable or make my own. Then he said I didn't need ALC anyway because the rig is only 100 watts output. To my knowledge all PNP-8M cables will not work correctly on the FT-897D or the FT-857D radios. Ameritron said they never had anyone with this problem before. I find this hard to believe. My manual for the FT-897D is dated 2004. ALC is there for a reason and not having it is causing me to adjust my power output on each band while using the amp since they recommend 500 watts on CW, 200 watts on digi, and full output on SSB. Ameritron just screwed up on this one. I gave this ARB-704/PNP-8m combination for the FT-897D a 2 because it really needs help and Ameritron is not going to do anything about it.