Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Show all reviews of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

KU4UV  Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2013 15:27  Send this review to a friend!
It's not bad, but could be much better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can understand how some people are having difficulty with LOTW, but here are some tips and suggestions. I have been using LOTW since shortly after it went online several years ago. I know a lot of folks complain about the postcard password system and that the system is too cumbersome. I think a lot of the complaints are maybe due more to impatience than anything. I am 38 years old, and far from being a computer expert. I am using AC Log for all of my digital QSL uploads.
AC Log gives the user the ability to upload contest logs and individual contacts to both eQSL and LOTW. You simply enter the path on your computer that contains the Trusted QSL software, along with your username and password, and the log takes it from there. I could maybe understand how the whole process might be a little cumbersome for someone unfamilar with how to use a computer, but the bottom line is, you gotta read and follow the directions folks. There are user groups for LOTW available online, and the ARRL is always a short e-mail or telephone call away for assitance should you run into trouble or have a question.
I do think that the ARRL needs to work out some of the bugs on their end though, such as the LOTW system being down quite so often. Eventually, the ARRL should hopefully have a better system in place or an new and improved update to LOTW. I don't think it is unreasonable to use a postcard password systems though. I hear a lot of complaints about this, but it didn't take longer than maybe a week for me to receive my password in the mail. LOTW is a lot better than waiting for several years for a DX station to confirm a contact. I fell if I can figure out the LOTW process, it can't be all that incredibly difficult. But once again, when all else fails, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!