Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER Help

Show all reviews of the COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER

You can write your own review of the COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER.

CORBINTECHBOY  Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 15:16  Send this review to a friend!
Good for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned may radios in my time in the HF hobby. Right now I have this rig and the Icom R75 and have done many comparisons.

The CR-1 is a pleasure to use with a well thought out layout. The buttons have good feedback and the menu layout is easy to learn and understand. Very well laid out.

The unit is compact. Much smaller then what I had imagined when I purchased the unit and it tiny compared to the R75. The case is build rugged (metal) and feels really sturdy (above average). The tuning and volume knobs are also metal and feel good to use. Tuning is easily done and spinning the knob is a joy, not on the same caliber as the R75 but good for what it is.

Sound is very good for such a small unit. Stations are easy to understand and catching that DX station is easy. Maybe a little more tonal qualities might be nice but this is not a hifi unit and is fine to my aging ears.

This little gem will hear everything my R75 will. This is great as the R75 is a real workhorse. The R75 does have more tricks up the sleeve when the going gets tough. But as any seasoned HF listener will tell you, tricks come with experience and any decent radio can be tamed and overcome (ECSS for example). The battery for field use is a nice added bonus.

I really like this little radio. I hope more comes of it as it is upgraded all the time. There are some things that I believe (and I think my thoughts are shared) that would make this radio a must have. As is however I think the radio is worth the price and at this price point I don't think there is any other radio I would recommend for someone looking for a new rig. Very happy with my purchase though at times I wish for more and regret my purchase. Bit ying and yang but all and all a very good buy.