Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng BF-888 Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng BF-888

You can write your own review of the Baofeng BF-888.

KF5HDU  Rating: 1/5 May 13, 2013 08:09  Send this review to a friend!
Stick with the UV-3R/5R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a couple of Baofeng transceivers, and for the money, they hard to beat. So, when I saw the BF-888 for $23.00, I decided to get one. I know what you are thinking, "you only paid $25? What were you expecting?" Well, something that actually worked would have been nice. I programmed the radio with a couple of local repeaters. The cable is the same one used for various Kenwood and Wouxun handhelds, and I had one. The software is available off the internet for free. Right off the bat, I knew there was an issue. The rig wasn't "hearing" and was not "getting out" on transmit. Well, a bad antenna is to blame. How about 12:1 SWR on 446.925mhz? I bought the thing off fleaBay, but for $25, it's hardly worth messing with to complain and/or return. I gave it a 2 because my other Baofengs have done well for me. I know every company has an issue now and then, but the antenna should have been checked during manufacturing. All antennas are typically checked for SWR before packaging.