New to Ham Radio?
DX Cluster Spots
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Show all reviews of the Johnson Viking Valiant
You can write your own review
of the Johnson Viking Valiant.
May 14, 2013 12:40
Send this review to a friend!
Work in Progresss
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Valiant has a multitude of problems. I got mine relatively cheap but will still pay less than one obtained off of Ebay after the cost of new parts and widgets. One has to do a whole lot of work to get one ready for reliable air time without 4th of July fireworks. Here is what I've done to date:
1. Replaced all electrolytics. Mandatory.
2. Installed a 3 wire, fused line cord. Mandatory.
3. Replaced 866 rectifiers with 866AS' solid state direct replacements from RF Parts. Highly recommended.
4. Replaced "Chernobyl" 18K power resistor in the VFO. Mandatory.
5. Rewired accessory socket as it is a big cause of intermittents in my case. Optional.
6. Cleaned all tube sockets and corresponding pins with Caig Deoxit.
7. Fixed intermittent connections in the microphone jack.
8. Installed new transmit "ON" lamp.
9. Insulated HV/LV wires where the exit the transformers from underneath the chassis with spaghetti to prevent arcing.
10. Cleaned all rotary switches with Caig Deoxit and a toothbrush.
11. Replaced both modulator tubes as well as their associated 22 ohm suppressor resistors.
12. Will undo speech clipper bypassing to have this function available.
13. Needs work in the clamper section to stop high plate current condition on "key up".
14. Calibrate VFO.
15. Set RF bias and clamper voltages.
16. And last, purdify the silver coils on top (gently) to remove all the nasty tarnish.
Again, not bad for what I paid for it.
Fortunately, none of the big iron items appear to be defective. The AMfone.net group is a must if you're a newbie like me and working your way through a host of issues.
This transmitter is not for the beginner. A manual is also a mandatory item.
If you enjoy tinkering, you'll love it.
Product is not in production.
You are not subscribed to this review.
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews
please email your Reviews Manager