Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-5R Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng UV-5R

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-5R.

N8AUC  Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2013 10:03  Send this review to a friend!
Surprised...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually bought the F-11, which is a UV-5R with slightly different firmware. When you remove the battery, the label on the radio says UV-5R, although the label on the front panel says F-11.

I went to Dayton this year intending to purchase a new HT. I was expecting to spend a lot more than I did until I ran across the folks from Import Comm. When I saw this radio for a "show special" of $46.73, I thought I'd take a chance. After playing with this radio, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. It's better than I thought it would be. Performance is good. It's small and light, the battery life is amazing compared to my old Icom T-8A. Once you get the hang of the menus, and the unusual way you store repeaters in memory, it's a surprisingly good little radio. Heck, I couldn't have purchased a new battery pack for my old Icom for the cost of this Baofeng unit.

I might not need to go with a plan B. Time will tell how well this radio holds up. We'll see. For now, I'm pretty happy with it.

The reason I didn't give this a 5, is because of the difficulty I had figuring out how to program it from the keyboard, and the lack of information in the manual. The Chirp programming software works pretty well though. And no, I'm not a new ham. I've been licensed for 35 years, been an Extra for 20 of those years, and programming an HT is not usually a challenge.