Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Ameritron RCS-4 Help

Show all reviews of the Ameritron RCS-4

You can write your own review of the Ameritron RCS-4.

W9FI  Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2013 15:34  Send this review to a friend!
Not a true high-power unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used my RCS-4L antenna switch for about two years without problems. Then recently I was testing a repaired antenna under a "true 1500 watts output" situation. The antenna held up but the remote switch module blew out. It took me a while to isolate what had failed, since I kept assuming it had to be the antenna.

Taking both the control and remote switch modules apart and checking components I found that the the remote switch unit's RF choke and a capacitor next to it were fried.

This switch wasn't able to live up to its specs (of 2500 watts continuous power handling). Perhaps that's supposed to be 2500 watts PEP. But in my case 1500 watts of CW was enough to melt the choke and one of the bypass capacitors.

I was going to rate this product even lower than I did, but I raised the overall score because of some excellent customer service I received from the Ameritron parts staff. They provided the repair parts I needed very quickly.

One tip: if you have to replace the RF choke, don't order the coil form (part number 409-2150) unless you intend to roll your own device. Instead order the wound coil. It's part number 401-4090-1 (also #409-2150: they both appear to be the same unit). Both the coil form and the RF choke are shown on the parts list. You'll need one or the other. Ameritron gives you the option of saving a couple of bucks if you make your own choke on their form.