Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical Help

Show all reviews of the ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical.

K9TWO  Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2013 16:50  Send this review to a friend!
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had previously been using a homebrew 33 foot vertical strapped and insulated with white PVC tubing to a 4x4 post in the ground. It worked well but not enough length for 80 meters. I stay below 3.800 to stay away from the ex-CBers and their bad habits. I made my own base load out of a 20 foot piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing to get a closer match on 80. It now resonates at 3.5 mhz. This keeps the loss out of the feed line and the tuner. Electrically, the antenna is always grounded thru the base load coil to ground which consists of 3 ground rods bussed together and about 15 radials. The 43 foot antenna is built like a tank and easily laid down by one person. I am 68 years old and have no problems at all. I really like this antenna, very well built and can be assembled in 15 minutes without a manual.
Yes I use a homebrew UNUN at the base to keep RF off the coax. Also have 7 or 8 ferrite slugs on the coax right at the base load coil I made. It's all enclosed in a 12x12x6 PVC electrical box from Menards. The taps on the base load coil was easy to set up using my Comet CAA-500 analyzer.
I use 1.5 inch copper strap from the base load coil to the antenna and ground. The copper strapping is treated with anti-oxide compound because you can't connect copper to aluminum without problems. An SO-239 is mounted at the bottom of the box and I have a one inch length of white PVC to shield the SO-239 from rain. Will be glad to send picture of the box and plans if you would like You can get my email on QRZ. Still use my Palstar AT2KD tuner on some frequencies but without so much loss in the tuner and coax since it resonates at 3.5 mhz. Tuner is not in line when near 3.5 mhz.
No, this antenna won't work on 160 without huge losses unless you have a top hat or use it in an inverted L configuration. Your only kidding yourself trying. Of course I knew that before my purchase so am not blaming Zero Five. It's a great antenna.

73 K9TWO Don Since 1959