Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | CHAMELEON EMCOMM II Help

Show all reviews of the CHAMELEON EMCOMM II

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON EMCOMM II.

WA5VFA  Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 19:02  Send this review to a friend!
My primary antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes it is untuned and non-resonant, so let's get that out of the way first. However, with a suitable broad ranging tuner it works well from 160 to 16 meters. I speak from direct experience. I have teamed it up with my LDG Z11 Pro II and use it for both NVIS and some creditable DX, running 5 watts from my FT-817ND.

My antenna setup is very crude, equivalent to what one would throw up doing a relief exercise. It is looped over the top of my house, a couple of feet above my roofline, in a slanted and lopsided inverted vee. Total height at the peak of the vee is maybe 15 feet.

And yet I check into my morning 40 meter traffic net on 5 watts just fine, and on JT65 and WSPR, have worked all over Europe and the Russian republics, west to Hawaii and beyond, and most of South America. I use this to make 5 watt PSK31 contacts stateside and into Canada.

I also have run verticals, a variety of tuned dipoles, a loop, fan dipole, and about any configuration you can think of. But I can honestly state that I have made more good contacts with this antenna in the last couple of months than any other antenna I have owned before during a comparable time period.

This is a winner in my book; tough, well-made, and very forgiving in how it is erected. Can't ask for more than that.