Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM ID-31 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM ID-31

You can write your own review of the ICOM ID-31.

WX4GPS  Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2013 22:23  Send this review to a friend!
Great overall UHF radio, expecially entry level to D-STAR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am been hee hawing about getting on D-STAR for 2 years, and Dayton this year, I decided to pick this for for the price under $300 I thought this was excellent as most machines in my area are offered on UHF for D-STAR and I can always go out on another module.

I got the RT Systems cable and was going to use the Icom CS-31 software but at Dayton I had a breif showing of the RT software and how to use it, and The Icom software was a complete confusion, so I ended up ordering the software from RT, and I was able with the help of a local ham W5IEM, was able to figure out how to program the radio and my thought process on using the radio for D-STAR.

My immediate reactions being a hand held, was I immediately went to the Diamond SRH77CA antenna and made a great difference getting into the machine 13 miles away. Love the alpha numerics and bank memories and how they can be utilized. One feature that exist is the ability to use a GPS position manually that you "capture from the GPS", but it was designed poorly. You can to go through so many steps to turn the GPS on, then do this step and then shut it off, and it should have been designed to turn the GPS, capture and then turn back off...

I will say the GPS does work well. The Diamond aftermarket rubber duck does not screw down flush to the radio, I am not sure if this was a design flaw, but I will be buying a rubber gasket to fill the small void to keep it somewhat water resistant.

battery life seems okay on the stock battery, have used the radio sparingly for several hours at a time, and recharged, never ran the battery down, even with GPS running.

Speaker audio is a little lacking when volume turned up. speech of call signs received is pretty neat!

It was a perfect decision since I been thinking of upgrading an IC-2200 with a d-star board, but that board alone was $210, and this was a mono band UHF with D-star and GPS. it just was the ultimate perfect option for entry level into D-Star. Knowing how much I like the radio I would consider the ID-51A as well if you are a heavy HT user. Do keep in mind the expense of the RT system, which is a highly recommended item right off the bat.